Experiments

Synthetic Mouths – 3D Printing

I did a prototype 3D print test of the 3D scanned mouths as part of my choir, these were done in three different experiments using white, gold and aluminium filaments. The main experiment consisted of printing four versions out of the twelve mouths using white filament and using a higher quality printer which created the structural supports in a different material white can be dissolved away. White was used as a way to show the synthetic quality and remove the textural traces of the human skin and to fully absorb it, through the process of printing, into the machine. This works well, but perhaps there is further to explore in terms of what colour or texture would effectively show the synthetic. I also printed out four sets of the teeth in the same material to test how they work when combined with the mouth, again these are very effective and provide the notion of prothesis as part of the cyborg theory.

To experiment with different materials in order to communicate the notion of the cyborg I printed out a version of the mouth in both gold and aluminium. The use of metallic filament gave a very interesting effect, with an essence of technicity not fully apparent with the white filament. Whilst these are interesting I feel it is a slightly obvious choice and takes the mouth away from the synthetic plastic that has created it.

Standard