Experiments

Synthetic Lattice

Continuing on the experiments in expanding the formation of the synthetic human I wanted to explore shapes that can be malleable once printed. This led me to experiment with lattice structures, which in their basic form can be used as exoskeletons and in the creation of moveable garments. Initially I wanted to try this in considering the creation of synthetic lungs in a future experiment whereby they can expand and contract as if breathing. A lattice structure when given the texture of skin also has the quality of bio systems and somewhat mimics the biological construction of skin cells. Exposing this gives a very creepy quality and further works to show the synthetic nature of what I am trying to create. Also when used for the mouth section allows you to see the synthetic teeth in their entirety, giving the effect of a window in to the inner workings of the human.

Ultimately this could be extremely effective if printed with Filaflex 3D printing filament that has the properties of rubber and can be deformed, twisted and manipulated and return back to form.

Standard