Experiments

Experiments in 3D Printing (1)

After careful planning I was finally able to begin the process to 3D print the 3D models of my head produced the three different processes:

• 123D Catch – iPhone app
  • Agisoft Photoscan – Computer software
  • 3D Scanner – Equipment

I continued with my previous idea to print them using clear (natural) plastic, in order to see the process of the printing at play and also the play on words with the term “natural” to describe the colour gave an interesting connection to the nature/digital divide that has been the basis of my previous research practice. As the models each have the back part of the shell missing you are also able to see the inside working, how the 3D printer has created support structure and how the layers build up. I chose to print the models on the low quality setting, again so the process of creation is further pronounced in the finished print. The layers create ridges across the surface, instilling their own topology and showcasing the translation again from human > digital object > plastic object.

The first print was that of the 3D scanner, which took 16 hours in total to print.

Printing6

Printing2

1

2

1full

3dscan

Standard